Aminulrasyid’s Mother Files a RM50 Million Lawsuit Against the Malaysian Government


SHAH ALAM, 17 Apr: The mother of Aminulrasyid Amzah, 14, a teen who was shot dead in 2009, filed a RM50 million suite against Corporal Jenain Subi and four other defendants.

In the writ of summons which was filed through the plaintiff’s solicitors, Daim & Gamany, also named the Shah Alam District Police Chief, former Shah Alam Police Chief; Tan Sri Khalid Abu Bakar and the Inspector General as well as the Government of Malaysia.

His mother, Norsiah Mohamad, together with the sister of the victim, Nor Azur Amzah, is represented by three lawyers, N Surendran, Latifah Koya and Eric Paulsen.

The claim was made based on the fundamentals of human rights that led to the lawsuit.

Speaking to reporters, Surendran said that the claim is based on the violation of fundamental rights of the victim.

“We are seeking general damages, aggravated or exemplary damages because of the statements issued by the police.

“This case is also a declaration that the defendant wilfully and maliciously violated the rights of the victim,” he said.

He added that the family was also disappointed because only one police officer was charged and released by the court.

“After three years since this case occurred, not even a single person was punished or deemed responsible for this case.

“In fact, Khalid Abu Bakar issued a statement accusing the victim of being a criminal while in court, no evidence was produced,” he said.

In addition, Eric hopes that the case will be able to change the police stance against the ‘cable culture’ of the authorities.

“The police cannot act as they please, there have been many cases, therefore the situation needs to be changed so that they cannot act as they please,” he said.

Meanwhile, Norsiah said that she did not want to comment and leaves it all to her lawyers.

On 26 April 2009, Aminulrasyid was shot dead by the police in a chase between the car he was driving with his passenger who is also his friend, Mohd Azamuddin Omar, and the patrol team.

As a result, Corporal Jenain was charged.

However, he was acquitted by the Shah Alam High Court on 5 December last year after receiving his appeal.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.