PKR Calls for Najib to Allow Dr Pornthip to Autopsy Sugumaran


PETALING JAYA, 12 Apr: PKR once again urges the Prime Minister and the Government of Malaysia to retract the direction to disallow Thai pathologist, Dr Pornthip Rojanasunan, to conduct a second autopsy on the late C Sugumaran, who died on 23 January.

PKR Vice-President, N Surendran said that the push was made to enable the family of Sugumaran to know the exact cause of the deceased who was allegedly handcuffed and roughed by the police in an incident in Hulu Langat.

According to Surendran, the family of the deceased is not satisfied with the first autopsy report by the hospital that stated that Sugumaran’s death was caused by a heart attack.

“Dr Pornthip agreed to conduct a second autopsy but Datuk Seri Najib Razak ordered the Thai Government to prevent him from conducting it.

“The Prime Minister himself intervened so that Dr Pornthip does not come when the deceased’s family wants a second autopsy performed.

“This is something that has never happened before. Sugumaran’s corpse has been in the Serdang Hospital mortuary for 80 days, however any investigation or even a funeral cannot be carried out,” he said in a press conference at the PKR headquarters today.

Thus, Surendran urges Najib and the Government of Malaysia to immediately solve this case before the upcoming 13th General Elections.

He also assured that Pakatan Rakyat (PR) will continue to help the deceased’s family in upholding justice.

“We are very disappointed because this matter involves human rights. The Prime Minister can solve this problem but he is just keeping quiet.

“If we succeed in forming the new government, PR will immediately call Dr Pornthip because we do not want the deceased’s family to be continuously grieving.

“Dr Pronthip has the qualifications and there is not solid reason to prevent his entry into Malaysia,” he added.

Earlier, there were several witnesses that stated that Sugumaran, 39, was chased by four police officers who proceeded to handcuff him and beat him to death, together with more than 20 people in Hulu Langat.

However, the police denied the allegations and claimed that the first autopsy results showed that the victim died of a heart attack.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.