Ready to face third wave of floods

KUANTAN: Today, the Tengku Mahkota of Pahang, Tengku Abdullah Sultan Ahmad Shah, asked everyone to brace themselves to face the third wave of floods expected to begin tomorrow until Wednesday.

He said that being prepared was vital to ensure that aid and rescue mission could be carried out in an orderly manner.

2

He said that there are two very important things to focus in times of floods; the efforts of the relevant agencies in saving lives and delivery of basic needs such as food and drinks to victims.

“I urge the people to evacuate immediately when they are instructed to even though it has not reached a dangerous situation. This is to prevent any untoward incidents,” he said after attending a briefing at the Pahang Contingent Police Headquarters here.

The briefing was delivered by the Pahang State Government Secretary, Datuk Seri Muhammad Safian Ismail, who is also the Chairperson of the Pahang Disaster Committee.

Tengku Abdullah said that he understands that Pekan, Maran, Kuantan and Rompin were still in critical situation.

He is also very satisfied with the work carried out by the agencies so far and after this, efforts should be focused on the districts which are still critical.

“We also need to be proactive and improve skills in performing tasks. Floods occur every year and I believe that we are experienced and can learn from it,” he said.

He also hopes that the evacuation centres and helicopter landing sites can be strategically built in every district when conditions improve.

“Maybe a work paper can be formulated to build evacuation centres and helipads when the conditions subside.

“High hills should not be cut indiscriminately because it is a good location to build such facilities,” he said.

NS

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.