KLANG, 18 FEB: The State Government will be announcing the next steps to be taken after the offer to takeover the water industry expires today.
The announcement of the State Government’s further actions will be made after the state government meeting this Wednesday, said Chief Minister Tan Sri Abdul Khalid Ibrahim.
“The State Government has made an offer on this matter.
“The approval will be made during the executive council meeting before being released to the public,” he said in a media statement after the groundbreaking ceremony of the Flood Catchment Pool in Taman Sentosa here today.
Two weeks ago, the State Government sent a letter of offer bidding to takeover the four concession companies that are currently managing the water services in Selangor, Kuala Lumpur and Putrajaya.
Under an agreement in 2004, the water services in Selangor, Kuala Lumpur and Putrajaya were privatised and managed by Puncak Niaga Sdn Bhd, Syarikat Pengeluar Air Sungai Selangor Sdn Bhd (Splash), and Konsortium Abbas Sdn Bhd (Abass).
All three of the above companies manage water treatment plants while the Selangor Water Supply Company (Syabas – Syarikat Bekalan Air Selangor) is responsible for managing the distribution of treated water.
However, the acceptance of the offer is subject to the final say of the Federal Government.
Last week, the State Government said that it would seek a judicial review should the Federal Government refuse to cooperate by approving the acquisition.
Abdul Khalid said yesterday that if the offer price to all four companies are refused, on his part, they will bring the matter to an international arbitration body.